Athanasios Strantzalos holds
- a B.Sc. in Mathematics from the Mathematics Department of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, 1990,
- a M.Sc. in Didactics and Methodology of Mathematics from the Mathematics Department of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, 1996, and
- a Ph.D. in Mathematics from the Mathematics Department of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, 2011.
- In the period 1991-2006, he taught secondary Mathematics courses in Greek and German, holding several corresponding positions in the private sector and, occasionally, in public schools.
- He holds a permanent position as a mathematics-teacher in Preveza, western coast of Greece, having worked at Greek public secondary, experimental and technical/vocational schools around Greece since 2006.
- He is currently attached to the Institute of Educational Policy, in the Scientific Department, as a Consultant in the field of Mathematics, member of the Scientific Units of Natural Sciences, Technology and Mathematics and of Educational Innovation. Previously, he has been a member of the Scientific Units of Educational Assessment (October 2016-August 2018) and Minority, Intercultural and Diaspora Education and Schools for the Incarcerated (September 2018-February 2019).
Publications & Projects
He has published / conducted research on the following fields:
- History of Mathematics
- Geometry and Transformation Groups
- Didactics of Mathematics
- Mathematics Curriculum in Secondary Education and in the Transition from Primary to Secondary Education
- Classroom reports on the application of Critical and Realistic Mathematics Education
- Action Research as a teaching-praxis and as a methodological/theoretical field
- Communities of Learning and Practice
His research interests focus on
- History of Mathematics as an indispensable feature of its Didactics
- Social and Cultural Elements in the context and teaching of Mathematics
- In-Service Training of Mathematics Teachers and Curriculum Action Research
- Literacies as tools for the formulation of teaching modules for Mathematics
Scientific web-profile: https://crete.academia.edu/AthanassiosStrantzalos
He has participated in the following projects/programs, as a member of the corresponding research groups:
- Annual pilot implementation of Authentic Assessment in Obligatory Education, conducted by the Institute of Educational Policy (IEP) and funded by European Funds
- Pilot implementation of Co-Teaching in Technical/Professional Secondary first classes, co-conducted by IEP and the Ministry of Education, and funded by European Funds
- Action Research on the impact of Alternative (Authentic) Assessment in school- and learning-outcomes-quality, conducted by the Experimental Junior High School of the University of Crete.…
He is also appointed by IEP as
- Member of the Steering Committee of the Educational Action (funded by European Funds) “A New Start in Professional Lyceums”, appointed by the Ministry of Education, as one of the representatives of IEP.
- Head of the Scientific Committee for the In-Service Training of Teachers for the facilitation of didactical skills needed for the Pan-Hellenic implementation of the Action “A New Start in Professional Lyceums”, conducted by IEP
He has participated in several national and international conferences and symposia; indicatively:
- CARN Conference 2017: “Reflecting on Action Research in an unequal world: an alternative perspective towards democracy”, Rethymno, Greece, 20th – 22nd October 2017
- VII International Conference on Critical Education: "RETHINKING ALTERNATIVES TO NEOLIBERALISM IN EDUCATION", in Athens, Greece, 28th June – 2nd July 2017
- 2nd Panhellenic Symposium "Educational Action Research: Questions, Collisions, Potentials", in Florina, Greece, 1st to 2nd April 2017
- International Conference "Cultural-Historical, Activity and Sociocultural Research at Times of the Contemporary Crisis: Implications for Education and Human Development (ISCAR 2016)", in Rethymno, Greece, 18-19th June 2016
- IV International Conference on Critical Education “Critical Education in the Era of Crisis”, in Thessaloniki, Greece, 23-26th June 2014
- 5th European Summer University on History and Epistemology in Mathematics Education (ESU-5), Prague, Czech Republic, July 2007
- 4th Colloquium on the Didactics of Mathematics, with international participation, Department of Primary Education, University of Crete, Rethymno, 22nd – 23rd April 2005.
- International Conference on the Teaching of Mathematics 2 (ICTM-2) Hersonnissos, Crete, July 1st – 6th, 2002
- Tagung 05/2000 «The History of Mathematics of the 20th Century», Mathematisches Forschungsinstitut Oberwolfach (ΜFΟ), in Oberwolfach, Baden-Württemberg, F.R. Germany, 30th January – 05th February 2000
He is a member of:
- the British Society for the History of Mathematics (BSHM),
- the Collaborative Action Research Network (CARN),
- the European Mathematical Society (EMS), and
- the Hellenic Observatory for Intercultural Education (ΕΠΑΔΙΠΕ).