Nikolaos Mavrogiannis holds a
- a B.Sc. from Department of Mathematics, University of Athens.
- Funded by a scholarship from the State Scholarships Foundation (25th Contest, Algebra Specialization), he completed:
- an M.Sc. in Pure Mathematics from the Department of Mathematics, University of Athens. M.Sc. Thesis Title : “Algebraic Dependence Relations” (1995), and
- a Ph.D. in Pure Mathematics from the Department of Mathematics, University of Athens. Ph.D. Thesis title: “Generalized Convexities and Disks” (1997). Mathematics Genealogy: https://genealogy.math.ndsu.nodak.edu/id.php?id=109025 .
- He also holds a B level Certificate in ICT.
- He is a High School mathematics teacher, working at Greek state schools since 1980. He has taught mathematics in several state schools (mainly Senior High Schools), including Evageliki of Smirna Model High School. Between 1994 and 1997, he worked as an attached Teaching Assistant at the Department of Mathematics, University of Athens.
- He was involved as a grade-coordinator of the Greek National University Entry Examinations (‘Panhellenic Examinations’) for sixteen years.
- He served as Vice Director at Evageliki of Smirna Model High School between 2013 and 2016, where he was also a member of the Scientific Monitoring Council for four years.
- Since 2016 is attached to the Institute of Educational Policy as a Grade A Consultant in the field of Mathematics in the Science Technology and Mathematics Unit.
Publications & Projects
- He has published more than 15 articles and studies. He is co-author of seven school mathematics books. His scientific & educational interests are focused mainly on Mathematics and on a) educational evaluation, b) curriculum design, c) teaching mathematics for all, d) teacher training.
- In his role as an educator, he has coordinated multiple school activities, including Reading Clubs and Mathematical Circles.
- He has given more than 20 invited talks at several conferences and educational seminars.
- Between 1986 and 1993, he was a member of the Editorial Board of the journals “Logos & Praxis” published by the Greek Federation of Secondary Education State School Teachers and “Euclid C” published by the Greek Mathematical Society. He was also a founding member of the Society for the Study and Teaching & Pedagogy (EMEDIPAI) in the late 1970s and, more recently, the mathematica.gr forum (2008) and the Algebra Lab of Evageliki of Smirna Model High School (http://algebrateacherlab.blogspot.gr) (2012). He publishes the Mathematical Newsletter “Ekthetis” (http://www.nsmavrogiannis.gr/ekthetis.htm).