Georgia Fermeli holds
- a B.Sc. in Geology from the Faculty of Geology of the University of Patras,
- a Ph.D. in Geosciences from the School of Mining and Metallourgical Engineering of the National Technical University of Athens,
- a Postdoc in Geosciences from the University and the Museum of Natural History of Vienna, and
- a Postdoc in didactics and assessment of Geology-Geography and Environmental Education through geological heritage issues from the Faculty of Geology and Geoenvironment of the University of Athens.
- She has also attended long-term training programs in Geosciences, Environmental Protection issues and in Information and Communication Technology as well as several shorter sessions (in Greece and abroad) on teaching and learning Natural Sciences, Education for Sustainability and Geoconservation.
- As part of her studies, but also during her professional career, she received scholarships from the State Scholarships Foundation, the Ministry of Research and Science of Austria, the Academy of Sciences of Austria etc.
- She has worked in public Secondary Schools, in research Institutions, Museums and Universities. She is currently attached to the Institute of Educational Policy as a Consultant in the field of Natural Sciences, Coordinator of the Scientific Unit of Natural Sciences, Technology and Mathematics, Head of Scientific Units Office-Cycle B (Units of scientific subjects of Primary and Secondary Education) and from 2015 a Board Member of the Institute of Educational Policy.
- She has teaching experience in Secondary and Tertiary education – at undergraduate and postgraduate level in Greece and abroad. She also has experience in Curricula development, educational teaching and training material as well in the design and implementation of training activities (face to face and distance learning) and in coordinating educational thematic networks, while she volunteers in environmental education and the protection of the environment.
Publications & Projects
- For many years, within the scope of her duties at the Institute of Educational Policy, she either participated or coordinated educational research programs (e.g. on Curricula, Development of educational and training materials, Implementation of experimental educational programs, Education for Sustainability, Sciences, Geoconsevation etc.).
- Moreover she has participated in the organization of conferences and symposiums in Greece and abroad, she was scientific coordinator in educational films (documentary) on the teaching of Environmental Education and Natural Sciences, she is a member of editorial committees of scientific journals and has published books and scientific articles on the subject of her studies.
- For her scientific contribution to geosciences she has been honored by the Academy of Athens.