The main purpose of the Unit of Social Sciences (law 4547/2018) is to address proposals to the Administrative Board of IEP about issues related to Social Sciences in the Primary and Secondary education such as: curricula and curriculum development, writing and amending school textbooks, editing of teachers’ guidelines, assigning teachers to subjects etc.
Furthermore, the Unit provides policy guidelines on related scientific issues, among others: suitability of pedagogical material, of surveys and various educational projects to be conducted in school units.
Moreover, the Scientific Unit of Social Sciences:
- designs and submits research proposals,
- participates in the planning and implementation of European and co-financed programs,
- promotes continuous communication with the entire educational community,
- organizes and takes part in conferences, seminars etc.
- participates in the development and implementation of educational policy in areas within its scope.